Woodland Creation Support

We are able to offer advice and support for any landowners within the Wye Catchment interested in woodland creation through the England Woodland Creation Offer (EWCO). A minimum of 1ha needs to be applied for but this can be dispersed as areas as small as 0.1ha. Standard costs for trees, tree guards, fencing and gates etc. are available, as well as a Maintenance Grant of £300 per ha for 10 years.

If you are interested in tree planting opportunities on your farm then please contact one of the advisers below for more information.

Lucinda Lewis 07824 904 877; Tom Jolley 07545 253 155;

Jonny Pugh 07825 743 447; Dreda Darling 07436 818320

Claire Spicer 07741 856 770; Ben Nott 07539 902 680

Support Available from Severn Trent in the Wye Catchment

Severn Trent Water are working with the Wye & Usk Foundation to fund advice and grant schemes in the Wye on an annual basis. It is restricted to the Drinking Water Safe Guarding Zone which follows the main rivers, so if you farm on the main stem of the Wye, Lugg or Frome do get in contact.


Grants are available to improve Pesticide Handling Facilities in the yard and for the placement of Arable Grassland Buffers to protect water courses. There are also options available for grassland farms such as Alternative Weed Management and Precision Application Technology. STEPS can be run in conjunction with other schemes as long as an item is not being double funded.

If you would like more information about the funding Severn Trent has to offer then please contact one of the advisers below:

Catchment Advisers:

Claire Spicer (Lugg) 07741 856770

Ben Nott (Frome) 07539 902680

Natural Capital Surveys Available in the Wye Valley AONB

WUF are working in partnership with Herefordshire Meadows to support for landowners in the Lower Wye as part of DEFRA’s Farming in Protected Landscapes scheme. We are able to undertake surveys of your holding, identifying opportunities that can deliver benefits for water quality, reduce flooding, offset carbon emissions and boost biodiversity through actions like restoring floodplain meadows. The WVAONB have grants available that can support delivery of opportunities identified. If you would like to know more please contact Dreda Darling on Tel: 07436 818320.

Working in or near a river or stream? Get the right consents in place

We have received a lot of enquiries about maintenance to watercourses after the incident on the Lugg at Kingsland last year. The types of consent you require will vary depending on the type of watercourse, type of activity and whether it is protected by designations like the main stem of the Wye & Lugg which are both Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). Things to remember when planning works:

– If it is a designated site you will need SSSI consent from Natural England or confirmation that the activity is exempt.

– If you are on a main river or “ordinary watercourse” you may need a flood risk consent or exemption from Herefordshire Council and or the Environment Agency.

Visit Wye & Usk Foundation website for full details.

Skip to content